Jean-Luc Godard, famous Franco-Swiss director, died at the age of 91.
It’s everyday Release who announced it, having learned it from his relatives on Tuesday.
Jean-Luc Godard, figure of “the new wave“, leaves behind many masterpieces including Breathless, Pierrot Le Fou.
He has played the greatest French actors: Gerard Depardieu, Brigitte Bardot, Michel Piccoli, Yves Montant, Jean-Paul Belmondo, Alain Delon, Jane Fonda, without forgetting Ana Karina (who was briefly his wife).
He has received just about every possible cinema accolade:
- Golden Bear at the Berlin Festival in 1965 for Alphaville
- Honorary Golden Lion in 1982 at the Venice Film Festival and the Golden Lion for Best Film for Name Carmen in 1983
- Cannes Film Festival Jury Prize for Farewell to language in 2014
- Honorary César, in 1987 and 1998, and an Honorary Oscar in 2010 for his entire career.
- Special Palme d’Or in 2018 for The picture book and all his work at the 71st Cannes Film Festival.